|I know that these days mood can swing quite rapidly for all of us. I go from very positive thoughts to some negative thoughts, and this is normal in today’s world full of uncertainty. When these negative thoughts arrive, I don’t push them away, instead I accept them and I say: “well, it is normal, my mind is thinking… let me direct my inner voice to a better place…” I quite literally talk to myself saying these words; I know it might sound crazy, but it works.|
When I picture a glass filled to the halfway mark with water, I try to see it always half full. How do you see it?
Research has found that a negative outlook can affect our immune system function, our sleep, our social life, and the quality of our relationships.
Now imagine what it would feel like to approach life from a place of positivity, fun, connection, health, and possibility. Sounds good, doesn’t it?
To help wipe out negativity (if you experience that), try one or more of the following action steps:
- Go complaint-free. Try going an hour without complaining and instead focus on the positive things in your life. Next, try a day, a week, and so on.
- Start a gratitude journal. Each evening, list from 3 to 10 things you are grateful for.
- Give spontaneous compliments. Notice the good in other people, don’t judge them
- Find beauty everywhere you go: from a walk in the park or around your neighborhood, or simply in your home.
- Share your good news with your loved ones. Studies show that sharing happy events brings even more happiness.
- Focus on what you want, not what you don’t want.
Maintaining a positive mindset takes practice, and the more you do it, the easier it gets. The payoff is guaranteed, you will live a happier, healthier life. I can tell you, it is absolutely worth the effort.